Sunday, February 7, 2010

Lessons learned

Thought I'd open with a pic
One of my many french toast plates
Usually it's a double stack, though :)

4 months of training down, 5 months to go!

First of all, for those interested (probably only my mom), here are my tallies so far: 61 miles of swimming, 1, 235 miles of biking, and 293 miles of running. Phew.

Looking back on life since I started training, I can see that I'm being challenged in many ways. I have been tested and am growing stronger physically, but even more-so I have been challenged spiritually and relationally. It's a fun, but sometimes overwhelming task trying to balance training with the many other blessings I have in my life.

But God only gives us what we can handle. Right? I hope so. Processing through my life makes me realize my balancing act is a result of many blessings: my residency, this training, my fam (growing by the minute!), my friends & core group, and my boyfriend. Lots of goodness to try manage, but so far, so good. Some occasional tears and fears now and then, but that's life. And without challenges we can not grow stronger.

Let's recap just a handful of lessons I've learned:

1. Always assume you will need gu or a snack during training... so pack it for the workout!

2. On that note, always eat something within 30 minutes after a workout, or else ... (see prior post)

3. Always check that you have a house key before taking off for a run! My excitement for a beautiful greenlake sunrise run last week swiftly turned into me being locked out of my house. But thanks to "ninja" Rob, I snuck back in.

4. Stretching your IT-band out is apparently very important. Otherwise, when somebody just simply touches it (on the outside of your quad/thigh), it feels like they are violently punching your leg.

5. Chaffing is a very real issue. Bodyglide, here I come!

And last but not least, the main thing I have learned: Apart from Christ, I am nothing. But with Christ, I can get out of bed at 4:45, work hard as a pharmacist and resident, lead my core group girls, make the most of my relationship, be there for my friends, have time for my family, and run that extra mile.

"For in Him we live and move and have our being."

Acts 17: 28

No comments:

Post a Comment